[Sca-cooks] (no subject)

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:51:28 PDT 2008

I'm not Master Ian Damebrigge, nor do I play him on TV...but here is my
redaction, along with the original recipe.  I served it several years back
at a Coronation:
*
103.  Compost.  *Take rote of persel, of pasternak, of rafens, scrape hem
and waische hem clene.  Take rapes and caboches, ypared and icorue.  Take an
erthen panne with clene water & set it on the fire; cast alle thise
therinne.  Whan they buth boiled cast thereto peeres, & perboile hem wel.  Take
all thise thynges up and lat it kele on a faire cloth.  Do thereto salt;
whan it is colde, do hit in a vessel; take vyneger & powdour & safroun & &
do thereto, & lat alle thise thynges lye therein al nyght, other al day.  Take
wyne greke and hony, clarified togider; take lumbarde mustard & raisouns
coraunce, al hoole, & trynde powdour of  canel, powdour douce & aneys hole,
& fenell seed.  Take alle thise thynges & cast togyder in a pot of erthe, &
take thereof whan thou wilt & serue forthe.

103.  *Compost*.  Take parsley root, parsnips, radish, scrape them and wash
them clean.  Take turnips and cabbages, pared and cleaned.  Take an pottery
pan with clean water and set it on the fire.  Put all of these in the pot. .
When they have boiled, add pears and parboil them well.  Take all these
things up and let it cool on a fair cloth.  Add salt; when it is cold, put
it in a vessel; take vinegar and poudre and saffron and add it, and let all
these things lie therein all night or all day.  Take Greek wine (sweet) and
honey, clarified together; take Lumbard mustard and currents all whole, and
grind cinnamon, poudre douce and anise whole and fennel seed.  Take all
these things and cast together in an earthen pot and take thereof when you
will and serve it forth. (Forme of Cury from *Curye on Inglysch*)

Redaction:  (Makes about 4 cups)

6 radishes                                                     4 T. Honey
4 cabbage leaves                                           1/2 tsp. Cinnamon

1 parsnip                                                       1 tsp. fresh
ginger root, diced finely
2 turnips                                                        1/4 tsp.
mace
1 pear                                                           1/4 tsp.
cloves
1 tsp. Salt                                                     1/2 tsp.
fennel seed
1 1/2 C. red wine vinegar                                1/2 cup currants
1/2 tsp. Pepper                                             1 Tbsp. Lumbard
mustard
1 pinch saffron                                              1/2 tsp whole
anise seed
1 1/2 C. Sweet wine (Marsala)

1.  Parboil root vegetables, cabbage in water until almost tender

2. Add to vegetables and continue parboiling until tender.  Drain and cool.

3.  Mix vinegar, pepper and saffron and pour over veggies.

4. Marinate in a cool place overnight.  Then drain liquid from mixture

5. Heat wine and honey together until clarified.

6. Add to wine/honey mixture, mix thoroughly, then cool.

7. Gently mix with vegetable/fruit mixture.  Store, refrigerated, then serve
chilled.

Notes:

1.  Recipe calls for "wyne greke" or Greek Wine, which the glossary in *Curye
on Inglysch *defines as "…a sweet type of wine which actually came from
Italy…"  Marsala seemed to fit this description nicely.

2.  I omitted the parsley root, as it was unavailable.

3.  I define "poudre" here to mean pepper.

4.  The "…lumbarde mustard…" is taken from a recipe further on in *Forme of
Cury*, which I have redacted below.

5.  I have found numerous descriptions of "powdour douce" which vary widely,
often containing sugar, cinnamon, ginger, mace and cloves.  I have omitted
the sugar as I feel it is sweet enough with the honey and sweet wine.  I
have also used fresh ginger, as have the authors of *Early French
Cooking *(Terence
Scully) and *To the King's Taste *(Lorna J. Sass) in other recipes which
called for powdour douce.  I believe that it adds more to the sweet-sour
contrast that was so popular in this period.
And this is the recipe for the Lumbard Mustard:

*150.  Lumbard Mustard.  *Take mustard seed and waisshe it, & drye it in an
ovene.  Grynde it drye; sarse it thurgh a sarse.  Clarifie hony with wyne &
vyneger, & stere it wel togedre and make it thikke ynowgh; and whan though
wilt spende thereof make it tnynne with wyne.

*150*.  *Lumbard Mustard*.  Take mustard seed and wash it and dry it in an
oven.  Grind it dry, sieve it through a sieve.  Clarify honey with wine and
vinegar, and stir it well together and make it thick enough, and when you
will use it, thin it with wine. (Forme of Cury from *Curye on Inglysch*)

Redaction:  (makes about  2 ½  cups)

2 Cups Mustard Seed.                                      1 1/4 Cups Red
wine Vinegar
1 1/4 Cups Burgundy Wine                                 3/4 Cups Honey

1. Toast in the oven, then grind it with a little of the vinegar

2. Heat the honey with the wine and vinegar until it is clear.

3.  Mix ground mustard seeds and honey/wine/vinegar mixture.  Allow to age.

Notes:
1.  I used Burgundy wine and Red Wine Vinegar as they are compatible with
each other, and also enhance the sweet/sour contrast.  Also, most recipes in
this collection seem to specify when they want a sweet wine rather than a
dry one.  This one makes no such specification

Hope this helps!

Kiri