[Sca-cooks] Musing on Mongol

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 03:55:57 PDT 2008

If you look at some of the recipes that Paul cites in his information about
the work prior to the actual translation, you will find some recipes that
influenced what was done.  IIRC there is at least one really wonderful fried
spinach dish that's very similar to a European one, only differing in
seasonings.  It would also not be unreasonable to include a Middle Eastern
veggie dish or two.  Same, same with using the Cloud Hall ms.  Mongol
cookery was heavily influenced by both of these, so their inclusion would
not be much of a stretch at all.  In fact, in the feast where I featured the
Mongol recipes, I did just this to get a few vegetarian dishes.

Kiri