[Sca-cooks] Musing on Mongol

drakey at internode.on.net drakey at internode.on.net
Thu Sep 18 00:38:13 PDT 2008

  BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }I'm
trying to figure out how to make kumiss - yes, Stefan, i've read
 the file in the Florilegium :-) I think it can be made with cow's
 milk, if it's not homogenized, and extra sugar is added. I'll have
 see if there's a brewer willing to help me with it.
 I'll Step up to the plate on that one...
 If you are able to wait until Monday (I'm about to board a plane for
the weekend to spend time with my lovely new girlfriend...), then I'll
help with...
 a) Making Kumiss (including what cultures and ingredients to use)...
I've made 12 batches over the years. Some QUITE nasty but now there
not too bad and I've written a long, long email on the subject I'll
dig up too...
 b) I'm happy to crawl over ASFTQ and look for Turkic Style recipes
for you... The 2 that come to mind is the Lamb cooked to a paste with
Pomegranite and Eggplant Manta...
  Drakey...
 On Thu 18/09/08 11:49 AM , Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net sent:
 Kiri wrote:
 >If you look at some of the recipes that Paul cites in his
information about
 >the work prior to the actual translation, you will find some
recipes that
 >influenced what was done.  IIRC there is at least one really
wonderful fried
 >spinach dish that's very similar to a European one, only differing
in
 >seasonings.
 Yes, i read the intro - i always read the introductions of books,
 otherwise i might miss some important information. I've been reading

 ASFTQ from cover to cover again - not quite done with it yet.
 However, Nawal Nasrallah's translations of ibn Sayyar al-Warraq's
 recipes are better than the English translations of the recipes in a

 German book that are quoted - of course her book was not available
at
 the time.
 IIRC (i don't have ASFTQ here at hand, so i could be wrong) it's
 Isfanakh Mutajjan, which is so very like a dish i had when i was in

 Morocco - same spicing (well, probably no cinnamon), but cumin,
 coriander seed, oil. I have loved spinach since i was a small child

 and we only ever had frozen at home - of course, using fresh is even

 better. So it's a dish i've been cooking almost since i joined the
 SCA - i've had a version on my website for years.
 >It would also not be unreasonable to include a Middle Eastern
 >veggie dish or two.  Same, same with using the Cloud Hall ms.
Mongol
 >cookery was heavily influenced by both of these, so their inclusion
would
 >not be much of a stretch at all. In fact, in the feast where I
featured the
 >Mongol recipes, I did just this to get a few vegetarian dishes.
 Well, when i work up a tentative menu, i'll post here - that's
 probably not until December. I'm pretty busy with some other
 projects. If i do this feast, it'll be in the Autumn of 2009, so i
 have a bit of time to plan.

 --
 Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
 the persona formerly known as Anahita