[Sca-cooks] Sugar in China?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 30 19:07:47 PDT 2008

  IAdamantius mentioned:
<<< It's commonly used as a pastry filling today, like marzipan, but
it's
also sweetened. I'm not sure if the product referred to in ASftQ is
freshly made, or preserved with salt and/or sugar. >>>

Which made me wonder about something.

We've talked about sugar and sugar refining before and its
progression from southeast Asia to Europe.

When did the Chinese start refining and using sugar?

Thanks,
     Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas