[Sca-cooks] Sugar in China?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 19:20:16 PDT 2008

The methods of growing sugarcane and processing sugar were technologies transferred to China from India in the 7th century, during the reign of Harsha (r. 606–647) over North India and the reign of Emperor Taizong (r. 626–649) over Tang China. Two sugar makers summoned from leaders of Mahabodhi Temple traveled alongside a delegation of Buddhist monks to China, where they successfully taught the Chinese how to grow sugarcane and produce sugar.

Huette