[Sca-cooks] Omnivores 100

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 06:25:06 PDT 2008

Wow I did pretty well, but then again there is nothing I won't try at least once, and very little I won't actually eat.
Helewyse
Child of omnivores.

1. Venison - yes, and I've got plenty in my freezer
2. Nettle tea - yup and nettle beer
3. Huevos rancheros - yes
4. Steak tartare -yes, yummy stuff, as is carpaccio (tartares Italian cousin)
5. Crocodile - yes
6. Black pudding - yes, grew up eating it, miss it like crazy,
7. Cheese fondue - yes
8. Carp - yes
9. Borscht - yes
10. Baba ghanoush - yes
11. Calamari  - yes
12. Pho  - yes
13. PB&J sandwich  - yes
14. Aloo gobi  - yes
15. Hot dog from a street cart  - yes
16.  Epoisses - not yet
17. Black truffle - yes but don't care for the flavor
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - yes
19. Steamed pork buns - yes
20. Pistachio ice cream - yes
21. Heirloom tomatoes - yes (I grow my own)
22. Fresh wild berries - yes (pounds and pounds of blackberries and winberries)
23. Foie gras - yes
24. Rice and beans - yes
25. Brawn, or head cheese - yup, regularly
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper  - a small nibble, wouldn't do it again, like it cooked or in sauces. .
27. Dulce de leche - yes
28. Oysters - yes, love them
29. Baklava  - yes
30. Bagna cauda - yes
31. Wasabi peas - yes,
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - yes
33. Salted lassi - yes, prefer mango
34. Sauerkraut - yes, making my own.
35. Root beer float - intensely dislike root beer, have tried once, never again, prefer cream soda float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar - yup, and single malt with a cigar too.
37. Clotted cream tea - yes
38. Vodka jelly - yup
39. Gumbo - yup
40. Oxtail - yup
41. Curried goat - yes
42. Whole insects - have never tried, would do it on a wager.
43. Phaal - yup, ah the joys of hitting the Indian for a curry after a night hitting the local pubs
44. Goat's milk - yes
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth ?60/$120 or more - yup, and have a whole collection of them including a 23yr old Bowmore
46. Fugu - never had the opportunity
47. Chicken tikka masala - yup
48. Eel - yup
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut  - yes,
50. Sea urchin - sea flavored custard, yum, eaten it as sushi and also as a pasta sauce in Italy.
51. Prickly pear - yes
52. Umeboshi - yes
53. Abalone - yes
54. Paneer  - yes
55. McDonald's Big Mac Meal  - yes
56. Spaetzle - yes
57. Dirty gin martini - yes, big gin fan
58. Beer above 8% ABV - yes I'm british
59. Poutine - yes
60. Carob chips - yes, give me Ghiardelli double dark chocolate chips any day
61. S'mores - yes
62. Sweetbreads - yes (and within the past year)
63. Kaolin - yes
64. Currywurst - I've eaten curried sausages, my dad used to make them when he was a butcher, and flavored sausages are really common in the UK
65. Durian - the stories of the smell have always put me off, but I'd try it.
66. Frogs' legs - yes
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - yes
68. Haggis - yes
69. Fried plantain - yes
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette - yes
71. Gazpacho - yes
72. Caviar and blini - yes
73. Louche absinthe - not yet
74. Gjetost, or brunost -not yet
75. Roadkill - a whole deer, got a call from a friend about a deer hit near his house, turned up with knives and a cooler.
76. Baijiu - not yet
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - yes (wouldn't be top of my list)
78. Snail - yes
79. Lapsang souchong - yes, mmm smoked bacon tea.
80. Bellini - yes
81. Tom yum - yes
82. Eggs Benedict - yes
83. Pocky -yes
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant - I wish
85. Kobe beef - not yet
86. Hare - yes
87. Goulash - yes
88. Flowers - yes
89. Horse - not yet
90. Criollo chocolate - yes
91. Spam - yes
92. Soft shell crab - yes
93. Rose harissa - yes
94. Catfish - yes
95. Mole poblano - yes
96. Bagel and lox - yes
97. Lobster Thermidor - yes
98. Polenta - yes
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee - yes, prefer kenya peaberry
100. Snake - yes