[Sca-cooks] Boiled Cider/Is there a medieval counterpart?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Sep 12 09:19:47 PDT 2008

Why not start with an apple dessert from before 1600 or 1650
and work from that? An easy way to find some of the recipes
would be to go to http://www.medievalcookery.com/  and search under
apple or appel.
(Or you could check out the Concordance under apples and pies.)
I know that boiled cider is a great ingredient and that people speak
highly of it,
but it's not needed or really necessary for a very appropriate medieval
or Renaissance
apple dessert. I just did an 18 page article on apples and heirloom
varieties with lots
of recipes, so I know that there's a lot of recipes already out there
and there
are even apple tart or pie recipes among them.

Johnnae