[Sca-cooks] Boiled Cider/Is there a medieval counterpart?

aoife at cableone.net aoife at cableone.net
Fri Sep 12 08:56:22 PDT 2008

Greetings!
I've had my discussion about making this goodie with 'mundanes'and now
I'll turn to this list.  Boiled cider (cider boiled down to a syrup)
has been used as a sweetener for a long time but was there a medieval
equivalent?
I plan on reducing mine down in one of my better temperature controlled
crockpots...might take longer, but I doubt it.  A friend is contemplating
doing a feast next fall and wanted an apple dessert/tart using this as
part of the flavoring/sweetener.
Any thoughts from the list?

Aoife