[Sca-cooks] new book on English food

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Sep 15 05:37:00 PDT 2008

Someone suggested that she was much better on 18th and 19th century fare
and that the earlier sections were written quickly perhaps to fulfill
the contract with
the publisher. I would have thought a great book on the food and the
table from say the
reign of George III to Elizabeth II would have been a big enough book, but
perhaps not in the publisher's eyes. I didn't even bother to review it
although
I posted some notes in it and marked a number of pages and paragraphs as
????

If people want to spend money and buy something that looks far more
promising
in terms of historical detail, they may want to wait and buy Mark Dawson's
Plenti and Grase: Food and Drink in a Sixteenth-Century Household or for
that matter
buy Peter Brears' new book Cooking and Dining in Medieval England. We
may quibble
about some of his interpretations (those versions of fish day and
non-fish day recipes),
but the book is pretty solid on the whole and better reading for our
purposes
than Taste.
One could of course buy  Food: The History of Taste by Paul Freedman
too. It's
 a much better book also.

Johnnae