[Sca-cooks] Redaction (Was: Some recipes that I have redacted)

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 18:10:25 PDT 2008

>>> As a general question, do most cooks on this list actually do formal
>>> redaction when working from period resources?  Or do some people
>>> just keep the period source and wing it?

I do formal redactions and keep meticulous notes on what I do when
redacting. I have received no end of friendly ribbing for my ... ummm
... attention to detail. Any recipe that I redact might end up in a
feast and I demand reliability and repeatability out of my recipes.

It is very much what Master A said. I need to be able to multiply up
effectively for feasts and I need to be able to hand a recipe to a
volunteer and know that, if they follow the recipe precisely, it will
turn out exactly the way I want it to without me hovering over each
dish.

Of course I check behind everyone and taste and adjust everything -
but usually things are close to where I want them to be.

--
Serena da Riva