[Sca-cooks] Redaction (Was: Some recipes that I have redacted)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 16 14:18:35 PDT 2008

A redaction is an edited work, so what we are discussing is not the original
work, but how we approach the editing.  No one has any way of knowing
precisely what a medieval cook would have done, but we do have their recipes
which list ingredients and provide basic instructions.  My adaptation will
be within the constraints of the recipe.  If there are issues between
various translations, transcriptions, etc., the earliest original version of
the recipe I can locate will be the arbiter.  That may be rigid and
academic, but it also sets a temporal boundary contemporary to that of a
medieval cook.

In my opinion, medieval cooks were consummate professionals.  They learned,
they practiced what they learned and they expanded their skills.  My
approach is that of a cook practicing a new technique.  From the recipe, I
try to create a dish that I, as a cook, would be willing to serve to my
patron.  I may not keep much in the line of notes on a simple experiment.  I
might keep copious notes on something difficult, expensive, or with limited
time to repeat.  I keep notes on dishes prepared for feasts or where I am
thinking about an article or column as a practical matter.  The medieval
cook may not have kept written notes as I do, but I'm certain he kept mental
notes on points which might improve his art.

For both practical and academic, please consider that while the quantities
may not appear in the recipe and might be changed on the fly to improve the
dish, the medieval cook would be required to report on the exact quantities
and measures of ingredients used to the clerk so that they could be entered
into the household accounts.  These would be matched against quantities
released from stores and the number of portions which crossed the bar.  In
my opinion, the medieval cook had as good a grasp of the basic ratios and
quantities of ingredients required as any modern chef.  And like the modern
chef, he knew how to maximize his profit.

The recipes I write down have quantities attached for the benefit of others
that don't have my experience and want to approximate my work.  In this I am
not a medieval cook, but a modern person trying to convey historical and
practical information as clearly as possible to other modern people.  In
actually preparing the dish for others, say at a feast where I a portraying
the medieval cook, I will keep to the ingredients, but I may modify the
quantities (particularly of spices) to get the taste I think is appropriate
for the dish.  When I prepare my dinner, I'm likely to modify any recipe on
the fly depending on what's in the kitchen and my mood of the moment.

Can I do this better?  Probably.  Like the medieval cook, I need to
practice.  I do wish that my patrons had less plebian tastes.

Bear