[Sca-cooks] Recipes that combine tripe with fried eggplant

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 1 16:19:03 PDT 2009

>I don't think we have any tripe recipes in the _Miscellany_. Looking
>through the Andalusian, there are a couple of tripe recipes, but none
>with eggplant.
>--
>David/Cariadoc
>www.daviddfriedman.com

Thank you for checking. I had stumbled across a recipe for trippa alivetana that called for seasonings of saffron, cloves, salt, pepper, bay, and lemon, the stew thickened with eggs and grated cheese, and garnished with strips of fried eggplant. It's the only trippa alivetana recipe I have come across that called for those seasonings (everything else I've ever found was tomatoes, onions, garlic, and slices of hardboiled eggs) and was garnished with eggplant, so it piqued my curiosity.

I'll chalk it up as a modern recipe with some medieval sensibilities, periodoid, but not period.

Meanwhile, I'll look up the Andalusian recipes with tripe.

Gianotta/Adelisa