[Sca-cooks] Margarine Reminiscences, was Honey Butter

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 1 16:37:27 PDT 2009

I grew up in the northern suburbs of Chicago, and the border with Wisconsin ("America's Dairyland") was not far away. In the 1950s and early 60s, the family sometimes traveled on Sunday afternoon to lunch at somewhat rustic restaurants not far from Wisconsin. I was always puzzled by the number of people from Wisconsin (Wisconsinians? Wisconsinites? Wisconsiners?) who'd drive over the border to buy margarine. I remember seeing blocks of white oleo (as it was called) with little pouches of extremely yellow coloring one had to knead in.

We never ate margarine in our house, so it's an experience i never had.

Urtatim
still pointing the finger at certain food chains for the popularity of honey butter in the early SCA