[Sca-cooks] rich yeasted cake

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Apr 5 22:22:57 PDT 2009

>Johnna Holloway wrote:
>>That should work. Yeast depends on the packet.
>>From the Red Star website
>>A 1/4 -ounce packet of active dry yeast contains approximately 2-1/2 teaspoons; the measurement will not be exact as yeast is packaged according to weight rather than volume. A packet of yeast is sufficient to raise 4 cups, approximately 1-pound, of flour.
>
>Ooh, heck, I use one packet of yeast for a *lot* more than 4 cups of flour...

Yeast is alive.  A vigorous starter is much better than using the dry yeast straight.  If I'm doing a lot of baking, the night before, I'll take a packet and make a starter with water and flour, then feed the starter more flour and water a time or two.   I don't more than one packet, even for dozens of loaves.  I don't bake often enough to keep a starter going, but that would be the period answer.

Ranvaig