[Sca-cooks] Suey's dictionary

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 19:00:15 PDT 2009

    Thank you Emilio, Cindy, Ranvaig and Robin for your comments. First
mistake - we cannot call it a bilingual dictionary in that the word is
in Spanish and the explanation is in English! I got that from a
dictionary in the Biblioteca Nacional de Espana (BNE), I know where to
find it but can't remember the name or identify it in bibliography but
it is if I remember correctly written by U of Michigan profs and it does
just that it gives the name in Spanish and the definition in English.
    Emilio wrote:
> It seems to me, that the project looks good and is well worth the while to work on it.
>
> Not having seen a line of your work, It is difficult, however, to say something about your manuscript and its merits. Perhaps it would be a good thing, to send the whole manuscript to some people of this list, who have some experience with this kind of project and with the languages involved (Cindy Renfrow, Louise Smithson, Robin Caroll-Mann; who else?). If you don't mind, please include myself in the list of addressees?
>
> Otherwise you could send assorted articles to this list, in order to have some discussion about it.
>
> As for the alternative "selling" or "throwing out". Please consider making it available for free public access on some website.
>
> Which spanisch sources were you working with?
>
> E.

Spanish sources, loaded question, my bibliography consists of 51 pages
but essentially I am talking the Anonymous: Sent Sovi, Huici and Perry's
translation of the Al Andalus MSS from the 13th C. and Nola's. I do
throw in Hita and Cervantes from time to time in passing.
I am not ready to send my entire MSS to anyone except my son once a week
for copywrite reasons because I am still correcting but to give you an
idea of one page of something I think I have corrected here is a copy
just to give you an idea:

*unción*, unction.
*ungüento, ungento, ungente,* OCast /uvgento/, /vunto/, Gall, Leon, Port
/unto/, Eng 1. ointment, unguent. 2. slab of fat seasoned with salt and
garlic, rolled and placed into a mold to conserve one year. It is added
to various dishes for flavor. It is the pork fat next to the kidneys. It
is a traditional product of the Maragato region in León according to
recipes carried down for hundreds of years. See /untos/. [Baena/Dutton.
516bis:v20;518:v45:519:81 etc:v7; Chirino/Herrera.
1973:5:22:180:13:21:184:21 etc; _Dialecto_. 1947:339; Nola
1989:xxxvii-4; and Ruíz/Brey. 1965:1159c:184]
*unicornio, calcedonia,* *carneliana*, *carniola*, OCast /olicornio/*,
*Gr. /sardion/ (Old Testamant), /sardios/ (New Testamant) Eng. sard,
carnelian. This is a semitransparent blood-red unicorn shaped agate of
the quartz family. Some have a white coat with a red base, which are
used to make cameos today. Pliny explains that it was first known by the
Sardinians and was called sard as the stone is found on their island.
During the Middle Ages the stone was available in Iberia. It was set in
rings and worn on the ring or baby finger of the right hand as it was
thought that it freed eaters of poison in foods and other misfortunes
that could occur while eating. See /manos, comer con./ [Alonso Luengo.
1994:44; Cipriani. 1986:15.6:198-199; /Corominas.
/_Cast_./1980:CE:273-274; ES: Gutiérrez. Jun 1, 98; _Espasa_.
48:PU:1019-1020; and /Villena/Calero. 2002:16/]/
*unojo*/,/ see /hinojo/.
*untar*, anoint, smear daub. [Nola. 1989:xl-1]
*untos*, OCast /vntos/, Eng grease, fat, ointments, and lard i.e. those
from cows, ears, horses, camels, snakes, rabbits, whales, herons, stone
curlews, fallow deer, mountain lions, mongooses, squirrels, hedgehogs
and otters. Laguna's comments on these are: Although the words lard,
grease and ointment can be confused, they are thought to mean only hard
and solid grease pulled apart from the loins of dry terrestrial animals
such as the cow, Billy goat and buffalo. A great deal of heat is needed
to dissolve it. Once removed from the fire it solidifies again. Grease
is understood also as soft humid fat that almost never freezes such as
the caul and that between the skin and the meat. /Enjundía/ is the
Spanish word for the fat in all birds and that found in the ovaries of
any animal. It is also called grease. All types of fat are heated
becoming humidified and soften. The color is worse when it is lukewarm.
The best grease comes from soft and delicate bodies. Lion fat is the
hottest, driest, sharpest and warmest and most resolutive of all the
fats. It is a singular cure for old, hard and toughened abscesses. Lard
applied to abscesses makes them mature and disappear if they are not too
hard. The big and hard ones need a more efficient remedy. Lard is also a
singular cure for any cold indisposition of joints and nerves The bull
is in between both. It is hotter and drier than the pig's so much so
that the quality surpasses that of the lion. Billy goat fat is not as
hot and dry as that of a bull; its quality it is better than pig fat.
The goat is more resolutive and of better quality than Billy goat fat.
That from a female goat is not as hot and dry as that from a male.
Although Dioscorides claims it is astringent, it is not; Galen suspects
that when it is called astringent it actually means resolutive. Boar's
fat is so penetrating that when applied to the knee the flavor goes up
to the month. Goose fat is very resolutive and it is very good for
dissolving corns. Mongroose fat competes with bull fat and is excellent
for relaxing the nerves. The females have more fat than the males; and
it is colder and more humid than the males'. Warm animals live in cold
regions. The grease from males is hotter, drier and acuter then that of
the females and those that are castrated. It is known that their . . .
Cikdy Renfro wrote:

> Child, please don't throw it out!!  Send it to me & I'll post it for
> you at http://culinaryhistory.org

I treasure your message. Perhaps we can talk apart to try to prevent me
unloading a bastard in your lap.  Please tell what you think after
reading my page above and or one else?
Ravaig wrote:
> I've been working on a translation of Rumpolt's Ein New Kochbuch.  I know it's flawed, and when I re-read older sections, I wince and realize how bad I was when I started.  I hope to redo those sections and finish the rest  ...  someday.   Or better yet, that someone who was really qualified publishes a translation.

You are so right :'( when we think so little of ourselves that is
probably the time shoot it out to the market in hopes that someone will
speak well of us in spite of all our flaws.
Robin wrote:
> I definitely want to see it.

Thank you so much! I really have been down since my operation as the
healing is slow and painful when what I want is to get up and go.
Friends and family try their best to animate me but you know the
funniest little boy in my life right now is my kitten. He loves riding
in the car with me, being close to me. He goes to Pilates three times a
week like mothers take babies to yoga. He is not allowed in supermarkets
or doctor's visits so he naps in the driver's seat happily. Now he is
sleeping on the bed in my study as if to say, 'Mom, you're going to be
so good in your work that tomorrow we will have food to eat thanks to
you! -
He is beginning to talk. He screams 'Carol' when I tell him we are going
to see my professor of Pilates and stands on the dash board screaming
'carol' over and over all excited as I speed down the highway like Mr
Toad!. He screams 'air'  and sticks his little nose in the outlet when I
forget to turn the air conditioning on in the car this summer. He came
from the slums when 6 weeks old. That marked him. He says 'thank you'
after each meal. Where can anyone find a kitten like that?
Thank you all for trying to animate me as my kitten does. You are all gems.
On footnotes, I have not begun that theme of how to site you but will
get around to it and ask.  Many of you are sited and I wish we could
make one common rule, either your own name or those you take up.
Personally it is all the same to me, just be sure to put her excellancy
before Suey - ha, ha :-D !
Suey