[Sca-cooks] OOP Easter dinner

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 15 23:16:35 PDT 2009

Johnnae related part of her trip to England:

<<< THL Guillane, Countess Alys, and I ate at Hampton Court
Palace on Easter Sunday. Not very fancy I'm afraid.>>>

Sounds pretty impressive to me. Was this something open to the public
or something you managed to arrange through your trip there or
through other foodie types at Hampton court?

<<< Easter Monday Guillane and I skipped Windsor Castle and went
off to have breakfast in London. She had Eggs Benedict with smoked
salmon
and I had kippers. >>>

I've heard of "kippers" before but never had them. These are
apparently mildly smoked fish, according to Brian Fagan in "Fish on
Friday". He says the term "kippering" originates in the 11th Century
but that the process as now done originates from the 19th century
when faster transport allowed less strong smoking process to be used.

So how were these garnished/served? Was this considered an entire
breakfast or were they served with something else such as a pastry or
cereal?

Welcome back. I was wondering why this list was slow... :-)  I'd love
to hear more about your trip, but can wait until you've rested some.

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas