[Sca-cooks] Honey Butter

wyldrose wyldrose at tds.net
Wed Apr 1 08:10:07 PDT 2009

When I was a kindergartner in rural Minnesota I had honey-butter on
cornbread.  It was considered an 'old' standard for the school in the
mid-1960's.    I ember going to feasts in  the early 1980's in  the Midwest
and honey butter was a standard, as was strawberry butter and other fruits
mixed with butter.
   I would assume that there were additives to butter through out the ages
because my mom would talk about how they added coloring to the butter so it
wasn't white during WWII and how her granmother would add a little carrot
juice to the butter for 'company' in the 1880's.  As some one eles
mentioned, milk(cream) can taste 'off' when the cows  get into the wrong
plants and it would be worth the effort to make the butter more palatable by
adding 'flavors' to cover the off taste.
   On the other hand, my Finnish cousins who were dairy farmers (and still
spoke Finnish at home) never added anything but carrot juice to their butter
and never, ever added anything else  to their home made butter and would
staunchly eat  eventhemost vial tasting butter.
                                                                       Kay