[Sca-cooks] Storing eggs through Lent, WAS Re: Hi again everyone!!!

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Apr 3 19:07:53 PDT 2009

Eggs can be kept for quite a long time in a cool place with as much air
excluded as possible. Nowadays we treat eggs as if they were as perishable
as milk-- perhaps because of Salmonella-- but it wasn't very long ago--
within my lifetime-- that it was well known that eggs could be stored on
the counter for a week or more and kept in a cool place for over a month.
Isinglass-coated eggs could be kept for up to a year. (C.F. old Rodale
publications.)

The big trouble with eggs in Lent is that the hens have already stopped
laying, and the number of eggs they were laying in the winter was very
diminished anyway, so you've probably used up most or all of your stored
eggs.

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net