[Sca-cooks] Root Vegetable Storage

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 22 01:37:10 PDT 2009

Maeva in An Tir

<<< The conditions that stimulate growth are temperature, moisture
and light.
Conversely, storing your food crops in the opposite conditions will help
preserve them. All these vegetables need to be stored at temperatures
warmer than freezing and cooler than the growing temperature somewhere
around 48 degrees. Storing carrots and parsnips and the like in sand
works
well.  We haven't done this lately as the sand can get messy.>>>

Maeva, thank you for explaining this in more detail. "storing root
vegetables buried in
buckets of clean sand" was sounding am awful lot like planting them,
to this city boy.  I wasn't exactly sure where the dividing line
between the two was.

Wasn't one way of storing some root crops simply to leave them in the
ground and not uproot them until needed? Perhaps this only works in
certain areas with certain crops, though.

Stefan
When the potatoes start sprouting and growing green sprouts and
leaves, perhaps it is time to toss them out...
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com