[Sca-cooks] Upcoming event-- Midrealm 40th

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Apr 20 15:33:43 PDT 2009

Compiled from several posts-- Johnnae

One of the goals for the 40-Yr Celebration is to invite all the Midrealmers,
past and present, near and far, to rejoice with us and to share our SCA
stories. If things go according to my plans, the event will be a
celebration of the History and Legends of the Midrealm, with especial
emphasis on our shared culture and the continuity of our customs and
traditions. The activities of this event will be focused on interactions
between old and new people, sharing the stories and legends of the
Midrealm culture, and creating new memories.

Foodwise--
Midrealm XL Year Celebration
Name of Branch: Incipient Barony of Ayreton – Chicago and surrounding
areas. (Official sponsor will be the Shire of Grey Gargoyles, because
Aryeton is merely an incipient group at this time.)
Date: Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 and Sunday October 4th, 2009
Location: University of Chicago campus, Ida Noyes Hall
1212 East 59th Street (59th St. and Woodlawn Ave), Chicago , IL 60637
If folks are looking for the URL for the event it is:
http://cleftlands.cwru.edu/mk40.html <http://cleftlands.cwru.edu/mk40.html>

Feast/ Taverns:
Instead of the usual sit-down feast, we can take advantage of the site’s
multiple, though small, kitchens to set up a number of different
taverns. We will invite outside groups to submit a proposal for their
tavern, with menu, approximate cost and supplies. Each tavern can offer
a different flair and will be managed according to each tavern’s budget.
This will also allow us to utilize the cooking skills of many different
groups. The taverns can serve food all day long, meaning that people can
eat when they want to, and that food can be prepared at easy intervals.
Taverns will work off of their own individual budgets, and the profits
belong to themselves. Each tavern can choose whether to be open the full
day, or just a half-day, allowing them some free time at the event. In
order to simplify the handling of money, the event gatekeeper can sell
$1 tickets at the troll station. Then each tavern can collect tickets,
without having to make change. Tickets can be reimbursed at the end of
the event, or soon after by mail.
Groups who are interested should submit a proposal to Fern, including
some proposed menu, approximate pricing, personnel, and equipment
needed. There are no pots and pans, or serving equipment in the
kitchens, but it may be possible to borrow cooking equipment from one of
the five groups of Aryeton.
There are three kitchens, each approximately the size of a home kitchen.
One stove, one refrigerator, one sink. They have different amounts of
counter space and floor space, so the cooks will have to pay careful
attention to the situation.

Could you please forward this information to all your friends who might be
interested? Especially if you know someone who needs to plan ahead, due to
distance or real life. Let's give them as much lead time as possible.
As the event gets closer, there will be more information, with more and more
details.
Thank you very much for your help!

Fern, excited autocrat of the XL event, aka Ruby Jubilee, aka 40-Yr.