[Sca-cooks] warm beer, the 19th C ice trade

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 3 20:46:49 PDT 2009

On Aug 3, 2009, at 11:25 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> <<< A man after my own heart. A good beer (especially ale) should be
> served about the same temperature as a good red wine. And I can't seem
> to get people to *get it*!!! >>>
>
> I don't agree, but then that maybe why I prefer white wines to red.

It may not be a coincidence, either, that ales are, for the most part,
not from your part of the world, Stefan. IPA and Russian Imperial
Stout are two exceptions to the basic rule that ales are for temperate
and cold climates, and beers such as lagers are more appropriate for
warmer climates.

Here, try this analogy: does chilled chili taste good, or would that
totally screw up the flavor? At the wrong temperature, weird things
happen to the fats and the spices, and they are not presented at their
best, right?

Ales contain a buncha chemicals that are byproducts of a relatively
warm, relatively quick fermentation; these chemicals are a major part
of the distinctive flavor of a good ale. While lagers also contain
volatile esters, they are usually different chemicals, and achieved
differently, and they're the kind of chemicals that are easier to
taste when they're cold. The stuff in ales is all too often diminished
in flavor if served very cold.

Luckyily for you, the beer in Texas is usually lager or some other
bottom-fermented beer, which is really good cold.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter