[Sca-cooks] 16th Century Pizza

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Aug 6 23:03:42 PDT 2009

Hmmm, how did tomatoes from Peru reach Spain (much less Naples) by 1522,
when Pizzaro didn't begin his conquest of the region until 1532?  The first
recorded encounters with tomatoes were in Mexico with Cortez but they
probably didn't reach Spain before 1527-1528.

Attributing the adoption of the tomato pizza to Naples may be correct, as
Naples was under Spanish control from 1505 into the 18th Century, but likely
unprovable.

And how did they miss the first U.S. pizzeria at 53 1/2 Spring St. in New
York in 1895 (unverified, possibly apochryphal, just like their history of
pizza).

Bear