[Sca-cooks] Agave syrup

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Fri Aug 7 07:28:49 PDT 2009

  I'm not qualified to say what's safe (period, end of thought) for a
diabetic, either by academic credentials or by life experience -- that
is, I'm not a medical doctor, nor a diabetic, nor familiar with your
exact form and severity of diabetes. I've heard from a handful of
diabetic relatives and friends that they use agave syrup because it's
sweeter than sugar and safer for them, but you'll want to consult with
your physician to make certain of the details as they apply to you in
particular. Given a medical need for it, I'd go with Splenda or
another artificial sweetener (with physician approval) entirely,
rather than risk a diabetic episode. Health reasons supersede every
other consideration when it comes to choosing Period or non-Period
food ingredients.

Judith / no SCA name yet