[Sca-cooks] Largesse: What to avoid.

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Mon Aug 10 05:59:53 PDT 2009

1. I LOVE feeding people, so I hate to say it, but avoid food items
for largesse.

If someone comes to eat at your table, they can ask what ingredients
are involved. Before they come to eat with you, they can ask if you
keep kosher/halal/Hindu vegetarianism/vegan/other religious/ideology-
based dietary practices. They can ask if your foods are gluten-free,
nut-free, egg-free, or whatever allergies and sensitivities they have
to honor. If you say "No, we're omnivores," or "I'm not sure what's in
it anymore -- I made the basic spice blend a couple months ago from a
recipe I found online, and I just threw it all together," then the
person knows that, with obvious regret, they can't eat by you, so
they'll explain, and no harm done.

But largesse is a gift from the heart, and one that would be very hard
to refuse without hurt feelings for both the giver and recipient. Even
something as simple as salt can be problematic for some. The same,
unfortunately, goes for those beautiful wooden cups that came from
Goodwill -- since they're secondhand, neither the giver nor the
recipient knows what has been in those cups before, and someone's
allergies could be activated in a dangerous way.

2. Religious items

Crosses and rosaries are a very Period gift, but avoid them unless you
are certain that they are appropriate to both the persona and the
modern person. For the religious Christian these are a marvelous gift.
A person of a different faith might find them problematic, since
bearing the symbol of another faith might be against the dictates of
their own religious convictions. For the non-religious SCAdian, too,
this could be an issue -- not for the recipient of the cross, but for
Christians, who surely don't deserve to see the symbol of the faith
they take seriously, being worn or used as a mere costume element, and
possibly being worn (and the wearer being mistakenly identified as a
Christian) in a situation that could cause embarrassment for those who
do profess Christianity.

3. Modern items

Batteries will probably get used in modern life, but if the
recipient's campsite is totally non-electric/Period, they won't be
useful in the hobby that we share. Ditto for mini-propane tanks,
replacement lantern bulbs, and so on. Of course, a mini-first aid kit
or sewing/repair kit would be a very good exception to this rule, but
for the most part, modernity shouldn't be part of what we do for each
other -- unless, of course, the gift is a ride to and from the next
event!

Other thoughts?