[Sca-cooks] warning vs. threat

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 11 18:19:25 PDT 2009

On Aug 11, 2009, at 8:58 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Master Cariadoc replied to me with:
>
>> One correction. The lady's father does NOT have his Laurel yet. The
>> King has apparently just threatened that he ever wants one he needs
>> to reel in his unruly daughter. So there isn't a problem with the
>> Crown removing a Peerage, which apparently can't be done except by
>> the BoD.
>
> The current crown can't prevent a future peerage either. But it's
> possible that the comment was a warning rather than a threat--a
> description of likely consequences, given general sentiment in the
> kingdom among current peers and likely future sovereigns.
>
> If so, it does not necessarily reflect badly on the king--only on
> the kingdom.
> -------------
>
> I guess I'm missing something, then. I would equate "threat" and
> "warning" as being the same thing.
>
> For example, what is the difference between warning you that if you
> go over 70 MPH I'm going to give you a ticket different from a
> threat that if you go over 70 MPH I'm going to give you a ticket?
>
> Or are you considering a threat more personal and than a warning?
>
> Again, I am relaying this information second (or third) hand and it
> is possible I'm not getting small nuances.
>
> Stefan

Of course, the possibility of missing fine points is a strong on in a
case like this.

Overall, though, and speaking very generally, a threat would be
something like, "If you do [or do not do] X, I will do Y. And you
don't want that." It involves personal responsibility for an act of
reprisal. A warning doesn't have to be that, it can be, "If you do X,
Y might happen, and that'd be bad, and I'm not sure I'd be able to
prevent it." Or some variation...

And then, of course, it is possible to pass along a threat (for
another person, or for yourself via a go-between), even if you're not
making it yourself, and it's still a threat.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter