[Sca-cooks] Service Animal

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 12 13:39:45 PDT 2009

Selene commented:

<<< Every for real princess should have a pony.  /me pooches out lower
lip

OK, what about a dog cart then?  We can document that. >>>

Yep.

Dog-Carts-art     (24K) 11/15/06    "Dog Carts and Draft Dog Training:
                                        Directions to Convert a
European Style
                                        Hand Wagon into a "Period" Dog
Wagon" by
                                        Lady Rachael of Bhakail.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/Dog-Carts-art.html

This is a revised article from the one I based mine on. Although since
my dog (Miniature American Eskimo) is only 16 pounds, compared to Lady
Rachael's bigger dogs, the wagon was a bit smaller. I do have photos
if anyone wants to see Snowball pulling his wagon. :-)

He does haul water around for the water bearers and hauls our stuff
around various sites. But that doesn't apparently qualify him as a
"service animal".

I would love to have him at Gulf Wars but he isn't a period breed.
There is a possible exception to the 'no dogs' rules based on being
used in a class, such as one on dog carts and making them, but I
haven't decided to do that. It would mean staying over in the 'Kennel
Lands".

The article above has some dog cart history but is more of a 'how-to'
than a history. If someone would like to write a more comprehensive
article on dog carts in our period I'd love to have it.

Earlier in this thread we were talking about handicap transport. There
are folks that build lightweight dog carts using bicycle wheels and
metal framing and actually it in the cart have themselves pulled by
one or two harnessed dogs.  Not very period looking, but neither is a
scooter or golf cart.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com