[Sca-cooks] New Challenge

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Aug 21 12:27:09 PDT 2009

>I have a first question. What would a Spanish jew have eaten who "kept
>kosher" of their time eaten just before they were expelled from Spain?

Since you asked. From _Manuscrito Anonimo_:

Jewish Partridge

Clean the partridge and season it with salt, then
crush its entrails with almonds and pine-nuts and
add murri naqî ', oil, a little cilantro juice,
pepper, cinnamon, Chinese cinnamon, lavender,
five eggs and sufficient salt. Boil two eggs,
stuff the partridge with the stuffing and insert
the boiled eggs and let the stuffing be between
the skin and the meat, and some of it in the
interior of the partridge. Then take a new pot
and put in four spoonfuls of oil, half a spoonful
of murri naqî ' and two of salt. Put the
partridge in it and put it on the fire, after
attaching the cover with dough, and agitate it
continuously so it will be thoroughly done, and
when the sauce has dried, remove the lid and
throw in half a spoonful of vinegar, throw in an
"eye" of citron [leaves] and an "eye" of mint,
and break two or three eggs into it. Then put a
potsherd or copper pot full of burning coals on
it until it is browned, and then turn (the
contents) around so that the other side browns,
and roast it all. Then put it in a dish and put
the stuffing around it, and garnish it with the
eggyolks with which you dotted the pot, or with
roast pistachios, almonds and pine nuts, and
sprinkle it with pepper and cinnamon after
moistening with sugar, and present it, God
willing.

A Jewish Dish of Chicken

Clean the chicken and take out its entrails, cut
off the extremities of its thighs and wings and
the neck, and salt the chicken and leave it. Take
these extremities and the neck and the entrails,
and put them in a pot with fine spices and all
the flavorings and cilantro juice, onion juice,
whole pine-nuts, a little vinegar and a little
murri, good oil, citron leaves, and stalks of
fennel. Put this over a moderate fire and when it
is done and the greater part of the sauce has
gone, cover the contents of the pot with three
eggs, grated breadcrumbs and fine flour, crush
the liver, add it to this crust and cook
carefully until the liver and the crust are
cooked and wrinkled. Then take the chicken and
roast it carefully, and strike it with two eggs,
oil and murri, and do not stop greasing [basting]
the chicken inside and out with this until it is
browned and roasted. Then take a second little
pot and put in two spoonfuls of oil and half a
spoonful of murri, half a spoonful of vinegar and
two spoons of aromatic rosewater, onion juice,
spices and flavorings. Put this on the fire so
that it cooks gently, and when it has cooked, cut
up ...[about two words missing]... and leave it
until it is absorbed. Then ladle it into a dish
[and pour the rest of the sauce on it, and cut up
an egg and sprinkle with spices, and ladle the
preceding almonds into another dish], and garnish
it too with eggyolks; sprinkle it with fine
spices and present both dishes, God willing.

A Stuffed, Buried Jewish Dish

Pound some meat cut round, and be careful that
there be no bones in it. Put it in a pot and
throw in all the spices except cumin, four
spoonfuls of oil, two spoonfuls of penetrating
rosewater, a little onion juice, a little water
and salt, and veil it with a thick cloth. Put it
on a moderate fire and cook it with care. Pound
meat as for meatballs, season it and make little
meatballs and throw them [p. 21, recto] in the
pot until they are done. When everything is done,
beat five eggs with salt, pepper, and cinnamon;
make a thin layer [a flat omelette or egg crepe;
literally "a tajine"] of this in a frying pan,
and beat five more eggs with what will make
another thin layer. Then take a new pot and put
in a spoonful of oil and boil it a little, put in
the bottom one of the two layers, pour the meat
onto it, and cover with the other layer. Then
beat three eggs with a little white flour,
pepper, cinnamon, and some rosewater with the
rest of the pounded meat, and put this over the
top of the pot. Then cover it with a potsherd of
fire  until it is browned, and be careful that it
not burn. Then break the pot and put the whole
mass on a dish, and cover it with "eyes" of mint,
pistachios and pine-nuts, and add spices. You
might put on this dish all that has been
indicated, and leave out the rosewater and
replace it with a spoonful of juice of cilantro
pounded with onion, and half a spoonful of murri
naqî '; put in it all that was put in the first,
God, the Most High, willing.

(the translator notes on this one:
A version of adafina (from an Arabic word meaning
"buried treasure," related to the word madfû n,
"buried," which is found in the name of this
dish), the Sephardic equivalent of the Ashkenazi
dish cholent, which could be left in the oven
overnight on Friday so that Jewish housewives
wouldn't have to violate the Sabbath by cooking.
(CP)

Which might be helpful for Judith.

A Jewish Dish of Eggplants Stuffed with Meat

Boil the eggplants and take out their small seeds
and leave [the skins] whole. Take leg meat from a
lamb and pound it with salt, pepper, cinnamon,
Chinese cinnamon and spikenard. Beat it with the
whites of eight eggs and separate six eggyolks.
Stuff the eggplants with this stuffing. Then take
three pots and put in one of them four spoonfuls
of oil, onion juice, spices, aromatics and two
spoonfuls of fragrant rosewater, pine-nuts, an
"eye" of citron [leaves], another of mint, and
sufficient salt and water; boil well and throw in
half of the stuffed eggplants. In the second pot
put a spoonful of vinegar, a teaspoon of murri, a
grated onion, spices and aromatics, a sprig of
thyme, another of rue, citron leaf, two stalks of
fennel, two spoonfuls of oil, almonds, soaked
garbanzos, some half a dirham of ground saffron,
and three cut garlics. Boil in sufficient water
until it boils several times, and throw into it
the rest of the stuffed eggplants. And in the
third pot put a spoonful and a half of oil, a
spoonful of cilantro water, half a spoon of sharp
vinegar, crushed onion, almond, pine-nuts, a
sprig of rue and citron leaves. Sprinkle with
rosewater and dust with spices. Decorate the
second with cut-up eggyolks and cut rue and
sprinkle it with aromatic herbs; cut an egg
cooked with rue over the third pot, sprinkle it
with pepper, and present it.

>And
>the Moorish counterpart living in Spain at the same time?

The rest of _Manuscrito Anonimo_, all of which is
webbed on my site, although it's a bit earlier
than you are asking for.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com