[Sca-cooks] New Challenge

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Sat Aug 22 19:28:58 PDT 2009

On Aug 21, 2009, at 2:27 PM, David Friedman wrote:

> A version of adafina (from an Arabic word meaning "buried treasure,"
> related to the word madfû n, "buried," which is found in the name of
> this dish), the Sephardic equivalent of the Ashkenazi dish cholent,
> which could be left in the oven overnight on Friday so that Jewish
> housewives wouldn't have to violate the Sabbath by cooking. (CP)
>
> Which might be helpful for Judith.

Yes, I'm all up in dafina/chamin. I make it nearly every week. Its
benefits are many, but its chief drawback is that it is impossible
(well, disallowed) to regulate or influence the temperature of the
fire, which may result in burned chamin, as it did for me at Simple
Day. The cherry chicken was great when served, but it developed a
charcoal crust on the bottom that I still can't get out of my cooking
pot.

Judith / no SCA name yet