[Sca-cooks] a favorite dish to prepare in advance

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Aug 22 13:56:41 PDT 2009

  I believe the original of this is recipe IV:38 or IV: 200 in _Curye
on Inglysche_. The version you give is close to the former original
but not identical. In particular:

The chicken meat is torn small, not diced. My guess is that that
would be more nearly shredded, giving a somewhat different texture.

The sugar, grece and salt are added added after the torn up chicken,
not (as in the version you give) before. And I don't think butter
would be described as grece, although I could be wrong.

No "watercress or parsley" in the original.

The original garnishes with "aneys in confyt," candied aniseed not
crushed aniseed.

>Well, it's a version of Blankmange, so it's English?or French,

English 14th c.

--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com