[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Aug 23 01:30:57 PDT 2009

Does boiling water count as cooking? It's hard for we non-Jews to keep
track of what is acceptble and not acceptable, depending on how kosher
you folks think is kosher. Yes, I understand that to some of you being
a little bit treif is being totally treif, but levels of observance
differ, depending on upbringing and traditions.

The reason I'm aking is because we've had a number of long
conversations about boil in bags, and I was thinking that they might
work well for making period, kosher foods ahead. Even if you don't
boil them, I'm thinking that they'd at least keep your food edible-
and in some cases, laying them out in the sun under a dark rag would
even provide you with hot food without cooking.

Dunno for sure, but I strongly suspect that the Lord your God wanted
people to eat as part of the being fruitful and multiplying. Doesn't
mean necessarily gourmet foods at every meal (although a couple
shabbat buffets I've seen have never been matched for sheer luxury
before or since), OTOH, I don't think he wanted you running around
with low blood sugar ;-)

So, my thought is that you could experiment with truly period foods
that happen to be kosher or at least not treif in their basic nature
(a lot of Lenten foods would work too, since they don't violate the
meat/milk prohibition) ahead of time, and as you start working into
the Medieval cuisine, include freshly prepped foods to mix with your
bagged foods.

But, take it easy on yourself. Rome wan't built in a day, and neither
was Jerusalem ;-)