[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Sat Aug 22 20:08:49 PDT 2009

On Aug 22, 2009, at 5:54 PM, Carol Smith wrote:

> Judith, you said that "cooking is the one thing you can do in a
> short time frame".  What about your attire?  Surely, you could sew
> on other days of the week (by hand is "best" but sewing straight
> seams by machine is the modern equivalent of handing that work off
> to the new apprentice seamstress, according to one of the better
> sewing Laurels I know).

Yes, once I learn to sew, I'll surely be looking the part. But that's
not something I can do at events, only something I can appear at
events. Cooking is the one thing I can actually DO at an event, albeit
not actually on the Sabbath itself. On Shabbat, the thing I can do is
interact (with people through conversation, with God through prayer)
in a Period way, and yes, I'm working on that, too.

Judith