[Sca-cooks] P B & J

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 12:47:34 PDT 2009

We were taught we must have a "no thank you" portion (each time an item was
at the table, not just once).  The rule was the amount must be the size of a
large olive.  I remember my father trying the "I don't want any beets" line
and my sister (still in single digets of age I believe) throwing out the no
thank you portion argument and my father having to swallow an entire fork
full of beets before saying no thank you!

I also remember my nephew and neice screaming bloody murder when my mother
gave them a spoonful of oat bran cereal (instead of prepackaged mushy
oatmeal-yuck!) and them complaining and crying as if she were trying to
poison them.  She didn't make them eat it but I could only think to myself
that if it had been me I would have had to sit there until I ate it even if
it became a "mommy dearest" moment.

I believe in having kids try stuff but not making them eat a whole plate of
it.

Shoshanna