[Sca-cooks] Is Zuccnini Marrow?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Aug 25 10:43:10 PDT 2009

It's a confusing subject and teh sources vary. William Woys Weaver says
that Cocozelle was used for all
zucchini like squash in this country until zuccchini became the word
applied to them in the 20th century.
Seeds of Change offers a Cocozelle Bush Zuchini - Pack
/Cucurbita pepo/
Heirloom
4-7 in.
  Introduced before 1885, known then as Italian Vegetable Marrow or
"Cocozella di Napoli."
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.aspx?item_no=S10669

Seeds for vegetable  marrows and odd squash can be found sometimes at:
http://www.yankeegardener.com/seeds/hartseed10.html
Or try http://www.thompson-morgan.com
US dealer seems to be at http://www.tmseeds.com/
US offers only two varieties out of the six offered by the UK firm.
If I recall correctly, squashes can cross-pollinate too. That would be
another consideration.
"Summer squash, pumpkins, gourds, and some types of winter squash belong
to the same plant species Cucurbita pepo. All species members may cross
with one another. Thus, an acorn squash will cross pollinate with a
zucchini or a miniature gourd."
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1996/8-23-1996/crosspol.html

Johnnae