[Sca-cooks] Is Zuccnini Marrow?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Aug 25 16:55:55 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda Peterson" <mirhaxa at morktorn.com>

So now I'm even more confused about marrows. They appear to be different
from zucchini, and more variable in appearance. Maybe we can get Michele
to grow some.

   mirhaxa at morktorn.com

Marrow is a very general and slippery term.  In the broadest usage, any New
World squash is a vegetable marrow.  For example, I have a color plate in
Elizabeth David's Italian Food that identifies a pumpkin-like squash (looks
like a Japanese pumpkin to me) as a marrow.  In this usage, zucchini would
be a marrow.

In the narrower, botanical usage, a marrow is any of the varieties of C.
ovifera, a subspecies of C. pepo that produces a wide range of ornamental
squash in many shapes and colors.  In particular, marrow refers to members
of C. ovifera that are being used as a food stuff.  Zucchini does not fall
under this definition, but is a close relative of the vegetable marrow.
Some of the ornamental squashes that show up in groceries in the fall to be
used as Thanksgiving and Christmas decorations will be vegetable marrows.

The term marrow can also refer to an avacado.

The earliest use of the term vegetable marrow that I have found is 19th
Century, so it marrow is most likely to refer strictly to New World squash.

Hopefully, that adds a little clarity.

Bear