[Sca-cooks] Blue Jeans RE: Substitute for Potatoes?

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Tue Aug 25 13:54:44 PDT 2009

Just because they are made from "period ingredients" does not make them SCA
period.

Found in SCA period:
Twill
buttons
cotton
indigo dye
belt loops
flat fold seams
studs
weave of dyed warp and white weft

Not found in SCA period:
zippers
pockets on butt section

Still, with the combination of both categories, it is not even period
plausible and even with just the SCA period category it barely makes period
plausible. This is not to say that it can't be used to fudge the "attempt"
at medieval/renaissance garb.
The original denim (de Nim) was said to be made of silk and wool and found
to be 1500s. 100% cotton twill would start off as very expensive in Europe
and though it may decrease towards later periods it still would not be
something that every middle class or lower class persons could afford.
Now there is a story that the word "jean" come from Genoa as it is said that
Genoa sailors wore blue pants made of a cotton/linen or cotton/wool twill
during the late 1500s. The fabric was said to have come from "Italy".
In the 1800s Strauss and Davies made indigo blue 100% cotton twill pants.

De