[Sca-cooks] Hummus and Simsim

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 26 12:46:13 PDT 2009

David Friedman/Cariadoc wrote:
>It wasn't in al-Warraq. It's Humus Kasa from _The description of
>Familiar Foods_. p. 383 of _Medieval Arab Cookery_ .

Thank you.

I'm sure i've read the recipe, but even though it had hummus and
tahina in it, it didn't look like hummus bi-tahini to me. Still i
will need to give it a try.

>The indices of the al-Warraq translation are indeed a pain.

I've created indices for a number of shorter cookbooks. And if Ibn
Sayyar al-Warraq hadn't complied so many recipes, poems, and nuggets
of advice (in the vicinity of 600, IIRC) i'd create my own. But
indexing his book is truly a daunting task, not to mention adding all
the info Nasrallah has in her intro and her glossaries.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita