[Sca-cooks] Cooking with nut oil

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 7 18:54:03 PDT 2009

On Aug 7, 2009, at 9:37 PM, Deborah Hammons wrote:

> I spent part of this afternoon looking in the Florilegium for posts
> about
> cooking with nut oils.  I found a lively discussion in 1997, but it
> didn't
> seem to address physically cooking with the nut oils.  Not sesame or
> canola,
> those are seed oils.  But something like frying in sweet almond oil or
> walnut oil.  Hazelnut or pistacio oil?
> Aldyth

I haven't fried with them, but the ease with which many nut oils
become rancid when stored at room temperature with even a small air
space in the container suggests a rather low smoke point -- they
appear to break down rather easily. With the exception of peanut oil...

[Yes, neener neener, peanuts are not, strictly speaking, nuts...]

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter