[Sca-cooks] OP/OT: update on Controversial Florilegium article

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 14:54:45 PDT 2009

Sorry to intervene from "outside". As a non SCA people but very
respectful of SCA traditions and rules I find the idea of an "unruly
daughter" being used as an argument to deny anyone a reward for it's
work very strange. Idon't know how is the Middle Age the SCA
reconstruct but in my idea of the Middle Age it was the time of the
"unruly daughters", Eleanor of Aquitan, Margaret of Navarra, Cristine
of Pisan, Hildegarde von Bingen.
The girl who wrote the article should fit in these rangs.
Ana

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:48 PM, wyldrose<wyldrose at tds.net> wrote:
> I think the article is very good, and folks should understand that the
> writing should be  not be judged at a 'college' level.  If she wants to
> rewrite it at a future date, then that is fine, but for now, I think she did
> an awesome job.
>  I have been in the SCA since 1978 off and on and joined when I was 17.  I
> don't think most people knew how old I was or how innocent or didn't care. I
> find most people in the SCA  today to be more understanding, but trust me, I
> monitor exactly  where my daughter is at both SCA and mundane events.   I
> think it is wonderful that she wrote this to share with others.  There are
> definitely things I might forget to tell my daughter about SCA camping that
> she should know.   Please thank your daughter for not only thinking of
> writing on this topic, but for  having the courage to share with others.
>                        Kay
>>
>> Stefan li Rous wrote:
>>>
>>> I should be off at a professional gathering (there's this job I need...)
>>> :-) but a quick message here.
>>>
>>> I've glanced through the several digests I've already gotten and my
>>> email. Thank you all for your replies both pro and con.
>>>
>>> One correction. The lady's father does NOT have his Laurel yet. The King
>>> has apparently just threatened that he ever wants one he needs to reel in
>>> his unruly daughter. So there isn't a problem with the Crown removing a
>>> Peerage, which apparently can't be done except by the BoD.
>>>
>>> There have been some useful suggestions made on re-writing the article
>>> such as bringing out that this is a worst-case scenario and isn't to be
>>> expected at every event but is still something to be on guard against. She
>>> is considering doing a rewrite. I hope she can stand up to the local and
>>> Royal pressure and do so. She is a stubborn young lady and I think she will
>>> if she is the only one affected, but she also doesn't want to see her father
>>> hurt who has worked so long for his Laurel. Me? Well, I'm probably already
>>> known for not obeying a Crown just because they are the Crown and another
>>> bit of non-political correctness is not likely to affect my Peerage
>>> prospects.
>>>
>>> There is no question on removing the article from the Florilegium if that
>>> is what the author wants me to do. I don't like to do that. If I don't think
>>> something is a good useful message or article, it simply doesn't get into
>>> the Florilegium. And I thought that this was a good, useful article that
>>> would warn folks about some things. I thought that since it was written by
>>> someone not much older than a teen that they might be more likely to listen
>>> than they would to us older folks or officials.
>>>
>>> Stefan

http://anavaldes.wordpress.com
http://passagenwerk.wordpress.com
http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci