[Sca-cooks] Chai, was Cardamom, was articles was fine spice powder

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 12 10:00:53 PDT 2009

Daniel Schneider <macbrighid at campus.ie> wrote:
>  you could make *lots* of chai

OK, this is a *cooks* list, so i *have* to vent. Please don't take
this personally, Daniel. It's not you. It's the whole world that's
crazy, except me and probably nearly every South Asian.

Chai means tea
Chai only means tea.
(as in the kind from Camellia sinensis)

If someone means tea with spices (and usually sweetener and milk),
these days they generally mean "masala chai"

Chai means tea.
Chai only means tea.

This recent usage in the US (and i assume some other places) is
driving me nuts.

What drives me even nuttier is "Chai tea". It's reduplicative. It's
not really informative. It's like saying "hamburger hamburger"

PLEASE, PLEASE - i'm not shouting, i'm begging, i'm pleading - if
someone means *spiced tea* say "spiced tea" or "masala chai". PLEASE
PLEASE do not just say "chai".

Chai means tea.
Chai only means tea.

This culinary public service announcement brought to you by
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

and by the letters C, M, and T