[Sca-cooks] Copyright

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Aug 29 19:22:27 PDT 2009

>We had a long lunch today together. My husband cannot understand why
>David Friedman, who as I understand, thinks I am doing wrong

I didn't say you were doing wrong. I said I thought you were in
violation of copyright law.

>publishing an 'essay' on a synopsis of La Granja's translation of an
>Hispano-Islam MS into Spanish about which I wrote in English.

Such an essay doesn't violate copyright. I had thought, perhaps
mistakenly, that you had translated a bunch of his recipes--indeed
all of the ones in the selection that I had also found. Was I
mistaken?

>The introduction contains explanation of the work, a bit about la
>Granjas' life, contained in the original synopsis and translated by
>me, followed by a few of la Granja's recipes also translated by me.
>I credit all the work to la Granja and list myself only as a
>translator.

Crediting it means you aren't committing plagiarism, but it has
nothing to do with copyright. On the other hand, if you are
translating only a few recipes you are probably covered by the fair
use exception to copyright.

>I think I found David some ten years ago or something like that. He
>insists I have to find La Granja's heirs to get permission.

Only that if you don't, then publishing a translation of his work
violates copyright law. As I said, I don't think you are likely to
get into trouble for doing it, so what the implications are is up to
you.

>Since then I cannot even find his wife's Christian name or surname!
>They had no children. I have called all the 'La Granja's listed in
>the telephone book around Madrid with no leads as to possible heirs.
>As La Granja died in the 1960's,  I assume the wife is diseased.
>What more can I do?

Probably nothing. Unfortunately, if one can't locate the copyright
holder for a work, publishing the work or a derivative work before
the copyright expires is in violation of copyright law. In my case,
being also unable to find someone to give me permission, I chose not
to publish the translation.

>We are so pleased that Manuela has just translated the entire
>Fadalat from Arabic to Spanish. I shall try to contact her to see
>how this was possible.  I have just bought a copy to see if I would
>like to translate it from Spanish to English and as is around, I
>doubt if I will have copy write problems.

That would be an ideal solution.

>Thank you all and especially Johnna for all your leads.
>I am totally concerned about remaining legal but man sometimes it is
>a bit difficult.
>Suey

Unfortunately yes.
--