[Sca-cooks] Copyright

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 16:45:16 PDT 2009

We had a long lunch today together. My husband cannot understand why
David Friedman, who as I understand, thinks I am doing wrong publishing
an 'essay' on a synopsis of La Granja's translation of an Hispano-Islam
MS into Spanish about which I wrote in English. The introduction
contains explanation of the work, a bit about la Granjas' life,
contained in the original synopsis and translated by me, followed by a
few of la Granja's recipes also translated by me. I credit all the work
to la Granja and list myself only as a translator.
I think I found David some ten years ago or something like that. He
insists I have to find La Granja's heirs to get permission. Since then I
cannot even find his wife's Christian name or surname! They had no
children. I have called all the 'La Granja's listed in the telephone
book around Madrid with no leads as to possible heirs. As La Granja died
in the 1960's,  I assume the wife is diseased.
What more can I do?
We are so pleased that Manuela has just translated the entire Fadalat
from Arabic to Spanish. I shall try to contact her to see how this was
possible.  I have just bought a copy to see if I would like to translate
it from Spanish to English and as is around, I doubt if I will have copy
write problems.
Thank you all and especially Johnna for all your leads.
I am totally concerned about remaining legal but man sometimes it is a
bit difficult.
Suey