[Sca-cooks] OP/OT: Wanted: Opinions on Controversial Florilegium article

Patricia Dunham chimene at ravensgard.org
Tue Aug 11 12:48:07 PDT 2009

I noticed that go by in the latest monthly article list, but didn't
look at it then.  Hope you can retain it; I think it's valuable.

I think it shows the SCA in a responsible light, not a bad one!  As a
matter of fact, re-reading the comments you included, it feels a
little like the objectors might be protesting a little too much????
(Ditto the reaction of the Royal involved!)

I read the whole thing and felt it was remarkably well-worded to
convey the cautions without being overly eek-freek about things.  (I
really liked her use of the "things that cannot be UNseen" theme, I
think it would resonate with kids.)  I agree with whoever suggested
including "written at the age of X, after Y years of Society
experience" might be helpful for some older people trying to evaluate
it for their own kids.

AS A NON-DRINKER, I think the parts about being politely
disinterested in mystery beverages could maybe stand to be included
in intro info for folk of ALL ages!

I would have NO qualms about my home-school 16yo reading this, we
haven't done much camping since he was VERY little, so there are gaps
in his "acculturation".

chimene