[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Fri Aug 21 08:29:38 PDT 2009

On Aug 21, 2009, at 10:17 AM, Susan Lin wrote:

> There are many great period recipes you can make and freeze and then
> just reheat.  There is no need to make yourself crazy with the
> food.  It is often the case that when people get to an event on
> Friday evening the evening meal is very simple.  With your time
> constraints it would be easiest if you did the prep at home (for
> Shabbat Friday night and for food on Saturday) and only had to open
> a cooler to retreive your yummies.
>
> Shoshana Simcha bat Reuven

Good point. It's what I did at that first event. I made one meal at
home and brought it, refrigerated but not frozen, to heat over the
fire starting right when I got there. The second meal, I prepped at
home and froze, then stuck in the cooking pot over the lower heat, to
reheat and gently cook over Shabbat. It worked out pretty well. I
guess I can keep doing that.

Shabbat shalom, Shoshana Simcha!

Judith / no SCA name yet