[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 21 09:12:53 PDT 2009

Judith Epstein wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Susan Fox wrote:
>
>> You already know a lot of medieval cookery.  You just don't know it
>> yet.  Here's a dish called "Loseyns" from the book The Forme of Cury,
>> A Roll of Ancient English Cookery, dated about 1390: [snip]
>>
>> /I don't know about you but this sounds like a nice noodle kugel to me.
>
> I don't know from kugel. I've had it a few times before, but it's
> Ashkenazi, and I'm not; I've never made it. It had a nice enough
> flavor, but the texture leaves something to be desired.

You're not making this easy.  Okay.  Book for you to look up:

  A Drizzle of Honey : The Lives and Recipes of Spain's Secret Jews by
  David M. Gitlitz and Dr. Linda Kay Davidson.  Which also addresses
  Aldyth's "new challenge" thread as well, come to think of it.

In the meantime:  what do you usually cook at home for the Sabbath?

Cheers,
Selene