[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Fri Aug 21 08:41:44 PDT 2009

On Aug 21, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Susan Fox wrote:

> You already know a lot of medieval cookery.  You just don't know it
> yet.  Here's a dish called "Loseyns" from the book The Forme of
> Cury, A Roll of Ancient English Cookery, dated about 1390: [snip]
>
> /I don't know about you but this sounds like a nice noodle kugel to
> me.

I don't know from kugel. I've had it a few times before, but it's
Ashkenazi, and I'm not; I've never made it. It had a nice enough
flavor, but the texture leaves something to be desired.

> Have you been introduce to Stefan's Florilegium yet?

Yes, the Florilegium and I are on speaking terms. Not yet first-name
basis, though. Not enough time in the day. ;) Next week I may get a
chance to mine that for a few ideas. It'll be weird, though. I seldom
cook from a recipe. I figure out what taste I want, and then I make it
happen. Same as my grandmother, and her grandmother, and so on back
into the mists of time.