[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 21 08:35:44 PDT 2009

You already know a lot of medieval cookery.  You just don't know it
yet.  Here's a dish called "Loseyns" from the book The Forme of Cury, A
Roll of Ancient English Cookery, dated about 1390:
/
"Take good broth and do in an erthen pot. Take flour of payndemayn and
make + erof past with water, and make + erof thynne foyles as paper with
a roller; drye it harde and seeth it in broth. Take chese ruayn grated
and lay it in disshes with powder douce, and lay + eron loseyns isode as
hoole as  thou myght, and above powdour and chese; and so twyse or
thryse, & serue it forth."

/I don't know about you but this sounds like a nice noodle kugel to me.
OK, maybe a sweet lasagna [compare that word with loseyns, sounds
related].  "Powder Douce" is a spice mixture of sweet spices like
cinnamon etc.  This one could pack and go just fine.

Have you been introduce to Stefan's Florilegium yet?  A gold mine of
resources, articles and emails collected and then organized by topic.  A
lot of the categories are derived from this list.  Particularly
pertinent to your request for event food would be this file:
/www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Camp-Dinner-art.rtf/
http://www.florilegium.org/ for the main page.  Shop around there a
while, I know you will find a lot that you need.

Shabat shalom,
Selene Colfox