[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 21 10:03:10 PDT 2009

Judith writes:
>>  If there is a way to get that fresh, flavorful burst (without using
>> eggplant if I don't have to -- I know it's all the rage in the
>> medieval Near East, but I don't actually like it)... I'd love to know
>> what it is.
Back to the original question... many kind of fruit known in period
would work.  And the Mediterranean area, which I perceive to be your
main area of interest, was the veritable fruit bowl of the Western
world.  Grapes, apricots, melons and citrus.  Particularly picked on the
early side, for a bit more tartness than the fully-ripe specimens.

Also:  a bit of "point" is also added with vinegar and with verjus, aka
sour grape juice.  The latter is widely available in Middle Eastern
groceries;  brands include Sadaf and Shemshad.  I am liking it quite a
bit for salad dressings these days.

Cheers,
Selene