[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Fri Aug 21 10:22:03 PDT 2009

On Aug 21, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> But events don't require that you eat medieval foods in your camp.
> You can prepare what you normally prepare and just carry it along.
> Any appropriate food that suits your lifestyle, diet, and restrictions
> that can also be packed should work. What would you fix and take if
> you had to
> be at a school or sporting event on a Sabbath night?

There is never any time where I "have to" be at a school or sporting
event on Shabbat. On Sabbaths, I am at home, at the homes of friends,
or at synagogue -- all within walking distance of my home. If I'm at
an SCA event, I'm not at a sporting event (list field), I'm at my home-
away-from-home (tent), or at least within walking distance thereof.
Wherever I am when the sun sets is my home for the duration of Shabbat.

In the occasions in which I am away from home for Shabbat, I bring
standard foods that I can have any old time I want. In the SCA, I
don't want to do just the standard old thing!

Judith / no SCA name yet