[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 21 11:31:31 PDT 2009

Judith clarified her original request with:
<<< Bless you for that, Ilsebet, but I'm the one who expects it. Since I
can't engage in many other activities (I can watch people do stuff,
but I can't do a lot of it myself) because the events chiefly take
place on Sabbath, cooking is one of the few things that I can do in as
medieval a way as I can reasonably expect of myself. Therefore I
really want to make a good, solid attempt at using Period ingredients
-- and LATER, learning Period recipes and styles of cooking. I'm
trying to please me, not everyone else. Anybody else doesn't like the
way I cook, they can go get their meals else-bloody-where! ;) >>>

Are you trying to cook a quick period meal on Friday before your
sabbath starts? Or have a non-cook meal on the sabbath?

Here is a file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium which might help
with the former.

bag-cooking-msg   (50K)  4/25/08    Using plastic bags to warm pre-
cooked foods
                                        at SCA events.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/bag-cooking-msg.html

Bagged meals like this can be cooked ahead of time. On say the Monday
or Tuesday before the Friday, or even months ahead of time. Then you
boil the bags in water, which can be done fairly quickly. Many modern
or period foods can be cooked this way. This would solve your quick
cooking problem on Fridays.

Does your sabbath restriction say you can't cook food at all? In which
case I assume your meals on Saturday are always cold? If you can boil
the food on Saturday, then this method would let you eat a warm period
food then.

Although I'm most familiar with various meat stews and pottages that
work well in boiling bags, there are likely some vegetarian stews that
would work well.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com