[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Fri Aug 21 16:02:43 PDT 2009

On Aug 21, 2009, at 1:31 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Are you trying to cook a quick period meal on Friday before your
> sabbath starts? Or have a non-cook meal on the sabbath?

Ideally, I'll have both a Period (or Peri-oid) meal prepared for
Friday night, and another for Saturday noon and Saturday Third Meal.

> Does your sabbath restriction say you can't cook food at all? In
> which case I assume your meals on Saturday are always cold? If you
> can boil the food on Saturday, then this method would let you eat a
> warm period food then.

The law of the Sabbath is that no cooking can be done ON Sabbath. One
can start a fire before Sabbath, cook the food to "minimally edible"
standard (peas may be a little bit al dente, but not enough to hurt
when chewed; meat or poultry won't give you food poisoning by being
too rare), and then keep the food on the fire to keep it warm or
finish the cooking process. Once food is removed from the fire *and
set down in another place*, it can't be returned to the fire.

It's considered ideal to have three hot meals on Shabbat. However, in
the summer months, or when a person has a fever and wants cold food to
feel better, cold food is acceptable -- the real requirement for
Shabbat food is that it should enhance one's pleasure and delight in
the Sabbath.

So I could prepare a meal to minimally edible standard before Shabbat
falls, then stick it on the fire at the last moment (even if I prep
the food, then freeze it solid, this is permitted) to warm it for the
Saturday meal.

Since most of the events at which I'd camp take place in the warmer
months, it's not as much of an issue; I can make cold Shabbat easily
enough. But sometimes one just wants to cook. I love cooking, and I
love sharing my cooking.